The Secretariat of the Global Forum on Agricultural Research and Innovation (GFAR) operates through donor Trust Funds, established and administered as a project in FAO, with the Secretariat hosted in FAO by agreement between FAO and IFAD. GFAR works to make agri-food research and innovation more effective, responsive and equitable, towards achieving Sustainable Development outcomes. GFAR is a networked organization, made up of Partners working together, through collective advocacy and actions, to shape the future of agriculture and food and their role in achieving sustainable development.
The Digital Media Communications Specialist will work under the general supervision of the Programme Officer, OINDD; direct supervision of the Executive Secretary, GFAR-OINGD; and with the direct guidance from colleagues in the GFAR Secretariat working in the area of communications and outreach.
Support the GFAR Secretariat’s communication outreach and engagement with the large multistakeholder GFAR partner network and the general public, using both conventional and innovative digital media communications platforms and tools.
Tasks and responsibilities
Publish up-to-date content on the GFAR website (gfar.net), blog (blog.gfar.net) and knowledge platforms to reflect the wide-reaching sectors and interests of the Partners in GFAR
• Develop written and audio-visual communication products
• Publish and curate content on GFAR websites
• Provide support to GFAR staff and partners in the preparation of documents, written communications, blog posts, etc. i.e. copy editing, proof reading, layout and style guidance
• Maintain a vibrant presence on all of GFAR’s primary social media channels to maximize engagement and drive traffic to the GFAR websites
• Facilitate work flows on internal projects and with external service providers. Specifically, act as main focal point with a communications agency contracted to lead new online campaign aimed at strengthening GFAR’s partnership engagement
• Support management of virtual discussion platforms, contact lists, list serves, etc.
• Produce regular reports on standard KPIs for GFAR website, blog and all primary social media channels
• Other tasks as needed
Where relevant (as advised by the GFAR Secretariat), products will be developed in close liaison with the Office of Communications (OCC), follow FAO corporate clearance processes and comply with FAO standards, including FAO style, FAO terminology and names of countries, FAO logo policy.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Formal education, Master’s or Bachelor’s Degree(s) in communication, marketing, journalism, advertising or a related field.
- Five years of relevant working experience in communication, marketing, journalism, advertising or a related field.
- Working knowledge of English.
- Extent and relevance of experience in design and implementation of successful social media strategies
- Extent and relevance of experience in managing workflows for projects involving multiple staff and/or service providers, i.e. annual reports, video production projects, etc.
- Familiarity with conference organization and liaising with media
- Extent and relevance of experience with copy editing, proof reading and style guidance
- Working knowledge of content management systems Drupal and Wordpress
- Extent and relevance of experience working with international organizations with large multistakeholder partner networks
- Extent and relevance of experience in multicultural settings and/or in more than one location/continent
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency