The Secretariat of the Global Forum on Agricultural Research & Innovation (GFAR), hosted by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, is the administrative and facilitation body for the wider networks of partners that make up GFAR. GFAR works to make agri-food research and innovation more effective, responsive and equitable, towards achieving Sustainable Development outcomes. GFAR is a networked organization, made up of Partners working together, through collective advocacy and actions, to shape the future of agriculture and food and their role in achieving sustainable development.
Duty station is in Rome, Italy, at FAO Headquarters.
Contract: Fixed Term 2 years (2 months in first instance) with possibility of further extension, subject to performance
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position must be submitted via FAO's iRecruitment system HERE. First you must register and create a profile. Then click on the "Jobs" tab and enter vacancy no. IRC4990 in the "Keywords" field.
Application Deadline: 8 November 2017
The Programme Officer reports to the Executive Secretary, GFAR and works in close collaboration with the multi-stakeholder partners that make up GFAR and with FAO management on all administrative issues.
Effective leadership in the planning and management of budgetary, programming, staffing and administrative support, and related policies, services and advice to support the management and delivery of the AGDG Division’s role and work.
Tasks and responsibilities
Develops, implements, evaluates, effective leadership and management of major projects and the Secretariat team
• Develops, implements and evaluates assigned programmes/projects, etc.; in coordination with Key Focus Area leaders, monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions;
• Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.);
• Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with donors or partners in GFAR, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the Partners will use to take forward the agenda of GFAR;
• Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources;
• Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies, etc.;
• Generates survey initiatives and M&E evaluations in the Secretariat and among implementing partners; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identify problems/issues and prepares conclusions;
• Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.;
• Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.;
• Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Provides advice and support to the GFAR Executive Secretary, senior officers and staff on the full range of budgeting, programming, staffing, and administrative issues;
• Maintains liaison with other units of the Organization and with other organizations in order to ensure consideration of concerns and the resolution of issues related to the Division's areas of responsibility, and to promote coordinated action in the programme of work and budget with that of FAO;
• Coordinates the planning of human resources management; support the recruitment of officers; monitor and control posts, vacancies and non-staff human resources to ensure achievement of departmental programme and management objectives;
• Manages administrative support at the divisional level, including, where applicable, formulation of divisional procedures, coordination of audit issues, consolidation and review of the departmental travel schedules, oversight of records function, and management of office space.
• Advanced university degree in business administration or public administration, or a field related to the work of the Organization.
• Seven years of relevant experience in an international organization context, as well as experience in the management of large programmes or projects.
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese or Russian
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Extent and relevance of experience in the field of administration, human resources, finance and management
• Extent and relevance of experience in the management of and administrative support to complex technical programmes
• Extent of knowledge of planning and budgetary processes and associated tools
• Understanding of FAO policies and programmes, or similar organizational context, is considered a strong asset
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
All candidates should possess computer/word processing skills
Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your iRecruitment online profile (see “How to Apply”). We strongly recommend that you ensure that the information is accurate and complete including employment record, academic qualifications and language skills
Please note that GFAR/FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognised in the IAU/UNESCO list
Other similar positions at the same level may be filled from this vacancy notice and the endorsed candidates will be considered for the Employment Roster for a period of 2 years
Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments
If you have questions about this position, please contact GFAR Secretariat at GFAR-Secretariat[at]fao[dot]org
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website here, complete your online profile and search for vacancy no. IRC4990. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help with iRecruitment, or have queries, please contact: iRecruitment[at]fao[dot]org