RUFORUM wishes to stimulate further the contribution of universities to bringing about rural change in Africa. Efforts are targeted at stimulating leadership through the recognition of individual professionals on the continent and based at African Universities who are dedicated to strengthening higher education in Africa, in terms of university leadership and management, teaching and carrying out research focused on improving rural livelihoods in Africa, and providing service to the wider community. RUFORUM wishes to recognize some of these achievers, and by so doing further grassroots oriented research that has impact on rural communities. RUFORUM, through the Impact Research and Science in Africa or IMPRESSA award, will award outstanding university scientists and leaders who have made significant contribution in the field of agricultural research and science for development in Africa, including human and institutional development. This is the fourth round of the IMPRESSA Award.
Objectives of the IMPRESSA Award
The IMPRESSA Award;
- Recognizes outstanding university led contributions to development through agricultural research and science, human and institutional capacity building.
- Promotes the awareness of challenges and prospects in agriculture, which remains the mainstay͛ of most economies of sub-Saharan Africa states.
- Promotes the awareness of the unique social conditions of agricultural communities and the global dynamics affecting agriculture, food and nutrition security in Africa.
- Promotes awareness of the potential contribution of African universities in Africa’s development through agriculture and related sciences, technology and innovations.
- Promotes the awareness of gender issues in agricultural research and science, human and institutional capacity building.
- Promote institutional building and leadership in African universities and beyond.
This year’s Awards (3) will be presented at the RUFORUM Annual General Meeting to be held 26-28 October 2017 in Lilongwe, Malawi. RUFORUM commits to work with partners in publicizing and promoting the work of the Award winners.
The competition organizers invite nominations to the IMPRESSA Award. The IMPRESSA Award competition is open to all agricultural scientists/ researchers/ development workers from the RUFORUM member Universities.
- Call Issue Date: 1st April, 2017
- Deadline for nominations is 31 July , 2017
- Presentation of IMPRESSA Awards during the RUFORUM AGM in Malawi: 28thOctober, 2017
For full information on eligibility, nomination, evaluation and selection procedure visit the RUFORUM website here.